Skoda logo, Skoda emblem

ŠKODA began its history from the company Slavia, belonging to the Czechs Vaclav Laurin and Vaclav Klement. At that time, since 1895, they were producing bicycles and motorcycles, and used first logo – a bicycle wheel, decorated with lime leaves with «Slavia» inscription in the center. Soon the company was renamed in honor of its respective owners – «Laurin & Klement», and the initial letters of their names on a red background became the basis for a new logo, presented in 1905. This emblem adorned with a laurel wreath, was made in the popular at that time “modern” style. There are also versions of the appearance of the laurel wreath on the logo. According to one of them the author was Václav Klement himself and that he wanted to focus on the fame of the brand and its leadership. According to the second version, the laurels appeared due to his partner’s name: «Laurin» in tune with the English «laurel» and Latin «laurus nobilis». In 1925 «Laurin & Klement» unified with the company «Pilsen ŠKODA», named in honor of its founder – Emil Ritter von Škoda. Emil started in 1860s from the forge and at the beginning of the 20s he produced a variety of products for mechanical engineering. It was after the merger of the two companies when the first ŠKODA car appeared and a new logo – a blue oval with «Škoda» inscription and decorated with the same laurel wreath. Prior to the merger, in 1915-1923, the Company «Pilsen ŠKODA» used as a logo stylized portrait of Indian in profile. He was wearing a traditional headdress with five feathers and hoop on the temple. That time the word “Indian” also meant a new symbol. It is believed that the author of this logo is the commercial director of ŠKODA – Mr. Maglic. He was inspired by the appearance of one of the Škoda family servants, which Emil had brought back from a trip to America. In another version, the design was the product of the competition program, organized by the Technical Director of ŠKODA in Prague, Dr. Sikora. But the author’s name remains unknown. In 1923 the company «Pilsen ŠKODA» has got a new logo, or rather two logos: the first was a picture of an arrow with five feathers, and the second – with three. Although officially in the logo is depicted an arrow wing with an eye, but schematically, it resembles the profile of an Indian. The first option, which also had the inscription «ŠKODA» depicted inside the circle, lasted only two years, and the second option in a slightly modified form, we can see on modern cars. Each element of the logo is “not accidental”,...

Read More

Saab logo, Saab emblem

SAAB – Swedish Car Company, whose name stands for Svenska Aeroplan AktieBolaget. Its history begins in 1937 with the production of aircraft, when the first logo appears. It was the image of the twin-engine aircraft with propellers and the inscription «SAAB» underneath. But it is worth noting that the first emblem of the brand was “Tre krunor” – three yellow crowns on a blue background. After the Second World War, the Swedes began producing cars, so the logo was changed – in 1946 a prototype of the model “92” was produced with a red emblem in the form of a label – «The Ursaab Emblem». But already in 1949, designers are again thinking of the past of the air, so the new logo appears – the inscription SAAB placed on a blue square with rounded corners, and under the inscription there are two chrome strips, aircraft wing stylized. In 1963, the wings were separated from the logo – twin-engine aircraft (front view) is back. The logo was placed on the radiator grille so that the aircraft wings fit into the grille cells themselves. This logo is very similar to the one that was in 1937, but the inscription is now lengthened and was located over the wings. Since May 19, 1965 the company changes its name to «Saab Aktiebolag» and accordingly it updates the logo: the four letters of the name are placed in the square, and the airplane is “dissolved” in the grille. In 1969 there are other enormous changes – «Saab Aktiebolag» combined with «Aktiebolag Scania-Vabis» and already new company «Saab-Scania» presents a new logo. Designers return to the twin-engine aircraft, which together with the «SAAB» inscription above it, is placed on the already well-known blue rectangle with rounded edges. But since 1974, on the SAAB cars grilles only inscription made in the traditional type was used as a logo. Ten years later, in May 1984, the company introduces a completely new logo with red crowned griffin, a mythical creature with a lion’s body and an eagle’s head. Originally griffin was used in the Scania logos; it was borrowed from the Skane county emblem. The author of this logo is a Swedish artist and sculptor Carl Fredrik Reutersward. Above and below the griffin on a blue background there are inscriptions SAAB and SCANIA, which are outlined with intersecting circles as a sign of union. In 1995, the shares of Saab were bought by General Motors, and in 2000 «Saab-Scania» was dissolved and «SCANIA» inscription disappeared from the emblem. For many years, the company is undergoing internal changes, and in June of 2012 it was acquired by the Consortium National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS). Extensive changes were made...

Read More

Smart logo, Smart emblem

Smart cars appeared on European roads in 1999, but the official logo was registered only in 2002, when the new model Smart Srossblade was presented at the Geneva Motor Show. The logo consists of the name “Smart”, the letter “C”, which means “compactness” of the model and the yellow arrow symbolizing the avant-garde of ideas and modern views. It is worth noting that the name “Smart” (in English means “Clever, clever man”) – it’s not just the English word that has been selected for a given brand. Smart is an acronym of Swatch Mercedes ART. Swatch is a Swiss company specializing in the production of watch, it was a partner of the “Smart” project at the early stages, but then it ceased to take part in it. Mercedes – is chief curator, which experts produced the first miniature cars. “Art” in the car brand name focuses on the originality and singularity of these small...

Read More

Rolls Royce logo, Rolls Royce emblem

The British brand Rolls Royce has received its name from the surnames of the founders Sir Frederick Henry Royce and Charles Stewart Rolls. Duplicate letter R on the logo, which appeared in 1907, although, is a capital letter of their surnames. There is also a legend that Rolls saw painted crossed letters RR on the tablecloth in one restaurant and immediately bought it. Initially the letters were depicted in red color, but eventually, in 1933 it was changed to black color, which was considered as more presentable and traditional, because then all the logos were made in black and white. But for quite a long time, black was seen as a sign of mourning – the death of Henry Royce. But Rolls Royce brand is also known for its symbol – a statuette Spirit of Ecstasy or “Flying Lady of Ecstasy”, located on the hood of the car. In 1909 one of the cars of the British brand was bought by Sir John Montagu, Lord Bellew and wanted to allocate it somehow among the other models. He ordered statuette talisman from his friend, the sculptor Charles Sykes. The model of the figure was a secretary and mistress of Lord Montagu – Miss Eleanor Velasco Thornton. And in 1911, a figure in the form of a woman who seemed to take off and holding a coat appeared on Rolls Royce cars. “Goddess of speed” became the first metal statuette, which was used on the hood of the cars of British production. The first models were made of babbit, and then it was changed to a bronze, and then to the chrome steel. Only once the position of the figure was changed to “adapt” it to the Arab market. In the 30’s women were on her knees and with a little more “clothes”. Today, modern technology allows hiding the precious “lady” in the hood of the car just by pressing a button, so manufacturers have protected it from...

Read More

Opel logo, Opel emblem

Initially, sewing machines were produced under the familiar to us car brand Opel. The first logo appeared in 1862, and was represented by the capital letters of founding father’s name – Adam Opel. Ornate gold “A” letter was written in red “O”, decorated with diamonds. Then Opel logos began to change rapidly, almost every year. There were times when the different logos were used at one time. In 1890, the company began producing bicycles, so there is a new logo – black and white, made like a sketch. Cyclist with a guardian angel hovering over him has been depicted on the oval emblem. Around this “pictures” were written the founder’s name and the phrase “Victoria Blitz” – “lightning victory”, which indicated the leadership of these products. In 1899 the picture and the inscription was removed from the logo, only “Opel” and additional “Fahrräder” – “a bicycle” were left. The emblem became brighter due to the delicate font, red background and green curls. In 1900 the font and color of the logo was changed. The capital letter “O” again was decorated with diamonds and the inscription itself was made with no excessiveness – even and neat black font on a brown background, framed by yellow (golden) pattern. Since 1902, Adam Opel begins producing motorcycles. Logo was simplified, it became oval, and now in addition to the inscription “Opel” on a red background, there were placed «Motorwagenfabrik» and «Rüsselsheim» on the top and bottom (Rüsselsheim – German city, where Opel headquarters is located). Also, this logo was used on the first cars of the company. In 1906, Opel collaborated with Renault, and the logo colors became black and gold. The logo was executed in the “Art Deco” style and had the inscription “A. Opel Rüsselsheim ». In 1909 the logo was simplified, only the inscription “Opel” made in italics was left. Rush font symbolized energy, speed of motorcycles and cars of the company. In 1910 there was the emblem “The Opel Eye”. The idea belonged to the Duke of Hesse, who advised it to the Opel’s son – Wilhelm von Opel. That time he returned from the United States, where he studied the design of vehicles and assembly-line production of cars. Stylized blue eye was wrapped with a laurel wreath that symbolized superiority. And, despite the fact that in 1929 Opel became a member of the American concern General Motors, this logo has existed until 1935. In 1930, the company released a small truck called «Blitz» ( «Lightning”), and the logo was changed again due to this fact – now, the constant inscription “Opel” was replaced by the inscription «Blitz» at the usual oval, where the letter «i» was depicted as...

Read More

Mitsubishi logo, Mitsubishi emblem

Understanding the Mitsubishi name lies in the company’s logo. “The Mitsu” in Japanese means “three” and “Bishi” (or «hishi») – “water chestnuts”, which resembles a diamond and symbolizes wealth. Official Mitsubishi logo is this three diamonds . They also have their symbolic value – honesty, responsibility and openness of the company to the world. The idea of the logo belongs to the father-founder Yataro Iwasaki, who worked at the Tsukumo Shokai and its samurai clan Tosa from 1868. In 1873 Yataro bought the company Tsukumo and renamed it in Mitsubishi. Here is revealed the basic idea of the logo: three diamonds joined at one point – these are two family coats of arms – three diamonds (rhombus) standing one above the other – the coat of arms of Iwasaki and three oak leafs originating from a single point – the emblem of Tosa. Thus, Yataro was grateful to his “teacher” for the experience and for his assistance in organizing his own business, so its symbol was memorialized in the logo of the company. There is also a legend about the origin of diamonds on the coat of arms. One ancestor of Iwasaki fished out of the river three diamonds; it was a kind of sign, sent from the heaven. Whatever it was, but the red diamonds really brought Yataro success and international fame. Logo itself has not changed since its...

Read More