October 1st, 2016
Porsche logo, Porsche history
Porsche car brand logo was created in 1952 when the company entered the US market. Prior to this, since the base year – 1931 – only a simple label with «Porsche» inscription was used, name of company founder Ferdinand Porsche, German designer and Doctor of Engineering Sciences.
Porsche logo is a coat of arms, which was developed by an engineer Franz Xaver Reimspieß. He took for the logo rearing horse from the Stuttgart city emblem, where is located the headquarters of the company and manufactory. Horse presence is not casual – the city was founded as a horse farm in 950. The outer part of the logo – black and red stripes and antlers – was taken by Franz from the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Württemberg which capital was Stuttgart.
There are also two another versions of the logo appearance. According to the first one, it was created jointly with Ferry Porsche and Max Hoffman, a famous car distributor. It was Hoffman who in a restaurant in New York in 1951, convinced Ferry of the need to “recognize the emblem”, then a sketch of a logo appeared just on a napkin. According to the second version, the same Hoffman insisted on the logo, but it was Franz Xaver Raymshpiss who was the author.